Saturday, May 19, 2007

Le Profound

Well, I haven't posted a poem written by my own hand in a while. I was searching through my compiled words documents of scribbled lines, of half completed poems and completed poems that are in no way completed, and I found this little gem. I am trying to reconnect with my poetry, as school made composing hard for me. Mad props to anyone who can actually figure out what it means!

Storm Summoning

I summoned the lightning,
And was summoned in turn by the solemn,
Psalms.
Angel-songs solemnly sung,
Solemnly held,
Solemnly long.
Beholden to the rising rhythm,
Of rising voices riding on slender slim-
Ghost steeds of past victories,
Gliding softly,
Gliding within.

I summoned then the thunder,
And was summoned in turn by the erratic,
Gongs.
Devil-songs erratically sung,
Erratically held,
Erratically strong.
Captive to the chaotic clamor,
Of cloying notes closing within,
Obsidian-black fences of past failures,
Holding me captive,
Holding on whim.

And left now to my own devices,
I combine (both) to summon the storm,
And seek balance in the triumphant wailing
Triumphantly held,
Triumphantly strong.

5 comments:

Sholeh said...

I was listening to the song "Lions Teeth" by The Mountain Goats while reading this post, and it fits quite well with this poem. :-)

Robbie Falconer said...

I know not of this music, but i'm glad it heightened the experience!

P.s. how's haifa?

Andrew said...

Beautiful!!

Andrew said...

And Sholeh: you're so right about that song. Perfect.

Anonymous said...

I like it. No points for me in figuring out what it means, but I like the way it flows...