Sunday, May 27, 2007

Capoeira!

Some responses to me sharing that I practice Capoeria:
"Awesome!"
"Impressive."
"...what? You do...what?"
"Aren't you too tall?"

I have fallen in love with a girl named Capoeria. And by girl, I mean a Brazilian Martial Art that incorporates dance, deadliness, and awesomeness into the most holistically satisfying experience imaginable. Actually, let's test that statement: Envision something satisfying. Like, really really satisfying. Now add a rocking chair and contentedly rubbing your belly to that image. It's like that! (If being in a rocking chair and rubbing your belly was your original answer, just add teddy bears and the smell of momma's cookies in the oven to that.)

Pronounced cap-o-a-da(ish), it is great for building strength, learning how to defend yourself, and simultaneously looking awesome. I mean, there are plenty of deadly martial arts out there, but how many teach you to walk on your hands and do a back flip as a part of their natural curriculum? And how many of them use such things in practical ways? It requires minimal exposure for the supremacy of a spinning-handspring-kick-of-death to be felt, and the affirming "oooh's" and "ahhh's" are nearly knee-jerk in their authenticity. Indeed, such ascendancy resonates bone-deep, apparently encoded on some strand of the human DNA. Like a mighty Leviathan rising from the vasty deeps, its presence simply must be felt.

Not that i'm saying I can do any of those things yet! Let us just say that I can "hold my own" and that I "do just fine." Nevertheless, my deposit of a few months has, much as that persuasive Portuguese bank teller assured me, yielded maximum quantities of enjoyment. The interest rate is storybook perfect, and the long-term enjoyment exponential in growth.

I am a self-avowed, if you would allow the term, obsessor. One who obsesses, fixates, and circles 'round, moth like in my devotion. I accept this fact with a mixture of pride and resignation, and recognize that I am a man condemned to wander the cavernous tunnels of always needing to find something new. This having been said, I have also found a few key activities that combine to form a hard, immutable core around which the peripheral and more fleeting obsessions gravitate in elliptical paths. Capoeira is most definitely one of these, and I couldn't be more pleased! It is here to stay, and I must ride this confirming truth to its ultimate termination. If along the way I happen to learn to back flip...well, it never hurts to know how to back flip. I am told by reputable back flipping sources that it is a great party trick.

8 comments:

Heather said...

Yeah, um, this would be one of the most AWESOME posts I've read in a long time.

On any blog, anywhere, in the whole universe even.

Booyah.

Nobodyatall said...

good use of 'vasty deeps'

Anonymous said...

Capoeira is nothing if not impressive. Thats fo sho.

Patrick

Robbie Falconer said...

heather - such flattery! I mean, I imagine the universe contains quite a lot of blogs. Can you even imagine what alien blogs look like?!

marjan - I am always trying to use vasty deeps. Whenever possible.

Patrick - it sure is mah friend, it sure is.

Anonymous said...

I have to admit it... I am really envious. If there were classes down here, I would probably be the first one to sign up. There's such an elegance to it while knocking someone's lights out at the same time.
I will definitely have to watch out for you at our next encounter...

Anonymous said...

This post requires video footage.

Orion said...

I like this here video of a miudinho game (there are many different games in capoeira, this is one of them, it's like a fast angola game (I realize that that may not mean anything to you, capoeira is very obscure in it's ways, we can be quite arcane in our dealings)). No, this isn't a video of Robbie doing capoeira, but my theory is that all noobs should avoid any video of themselves until their capoeira ego is firmly in place. I, personally, plan to avoid all video of myself until I teach my own class. I should hopefully be sweet by then, or not because I've never seen myself and nobody bothered to tell me. Either way, it would probably be time for me to know.

Andrew said...

First, you should know that I did a backflip over to the computer to read this post, and am now commenting while standing on my hands. You're going to love excersizing this dexterity, my friend. It's just fantastic.