Friday, February 2, 2007

Relativity Sucks

Don't get me wrong: I love me some Einstein. And I enjoy the benefits of the relative quality of workmanship as much as the next chap (like when my math test score was curved UP to a 100 earlier this week, I was pretty happy). But when it is eight degrees outside, and every Chicago native in the area looks at me like I am a wimp every time I mention this ludicrous fact, I tend to draw the line.

Relativity, this is the last straw. The fact that you have made a whole culture of people unable to acknowledge the simple fact that eight degrees is flippin cold is ridiculous and wholly unappreciated. I don't want to say "It's eight degrees outside!" and be greeted with nonchalant shrugs; I want instant gratification and counter whining. I want a sane response, something like "Yeah, wow, that is cold man. You are totally right to be cold," not the now familiar "You think this is cold?! Wait till it gets in the negatives!" Negative degrees were designed for measuring things in science experiments, not for humans.

So, relativity, I'm delivering an ultimatum here and now: quit making cultures who live in environmental extremes become more use to those extremes compared to the rest of humanity! It's just not fair, and if such behavior continues I may or may not be forced to blog about this topic AGAIN, which is something no one wants. No one.

3 comments:

Sholeh said...

hahaha yeah I feel your pain. I suffered through 15 Chicago winters with little sympathy.

lauren said...

i fall on the side of the 'conditioned' when people from california come to kansas in the spring and say that 60 degree weather is chilly while everyone else is in a t-shirt. But yesterday at 6pm i departed from my house, having just washed my hair half an hour before, and despite my head being aptly wrapped, my hair was completely frozen after less than 4 minutes. That is not cool. And when people in the mid-west take 8 degrees with a -30 degree wind chill in stride it doesn't even convince me. give me someone who has spent winters in northern canada or alaska and i'll concede to their commentary, but not from my regional peers.

Nathan said...

So true, Lauren. On the flip-side, there was one summer morning at Louhelen that was cooler than usual, and one of the other service youth said, "Geez, it's chilly this morning." I said, "But you're from northern Minnesota; you lived there all your life..." The reply, "Yeah, but that doesn't mean I have to like it."

I'll take a Kansas 8 degrees over this ultra bitter northern Illinois 8 degrees any day.