Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Rain

If you know anything about me, you most likely know that I adore the rain. It really trancends mere affection: I am an entirely different person when it is raining outside. Something about the wholesome presence of rain inspires and elevates my thoughts to a realness that I crave when the boring sun is the only thing around. Perhaps it's the symbollic association with rebirth. Maybe it's the remembered peace of rain pattering on the windows of my childhood. Whatever it is, I maintain that you have not known me until you have seen me in the rain.

Along these lines, I wrote a poem about rain. Isn't that what poets do? Write about stuff they love? That's what they tell me, anyways. Enjoy!

Sinking Deeper

I’m sinking deeper now,
Carried by silvery gray clouds,
I’m sinking deeper now,
Surrounded by the pattering peace of short-lived
Heaven-borne freedom.
I’m sinking deeper now,
Dragged down by droplets of life chaos,
And I’m sinking deeper,
Like I was in mud,
Churned long by uncertain feet,
But now,
Now very still;
A man reformed in these droplets,
Reborn in this torrent of change-
I’m sinking deeper into the sky,
Lured by the singing rain,
Singing my name,
I melt.
Sinking, soaking, soaked-
Till I am the rain,
Wetfreehappyuntamed,
So with an excuse me,
And a sigh,
I loose the final handhold,
And sink deeper into the rain’s embrace.

5 comments:

Andrew said...

Mmmmm...I like this one. I was listening to "Sometimes" by My Bloody Valentine at the same time, which made it even more swell. It's really interesting, because I don't at all feel the same way about rain. Don't get me wrong, I love a good rainstorm. I mean a really really good rainstorm. A summer storm, you know? But it's fascinating reading the mind-process of another rain-lover; one who enjoys it slightly differntly than I.

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful poem yo. I too love to rain deeply. Being from the Pacific NW I grew up being constantly surrounded by light rain. Now that I am living in a dry place in China, I can't tell you how much I miss the rain. So yeah, I can read your blog right now. Q: How exciting is that? A: Very much so indeed. Blogger and blogspot are blocked in China (I recommend you get a new blog that would allow danio and I to both read your posts). But I am in the US right now. For about 4 more weeks.
PS I loved the t-shirt story and the picture that went along with it. Amazing...
I love you...

Lacey said...

My Bloody Valentine always makes me think about "Lost In Translation." So somehow this association also resonates with me, Andrew.

I also love rain (but not every day) and I always manage to get a lot done when it's raining outside. I'm not tempted to go out and do things. I like how productive I feel. And then sometimes, if it's a weekend especially, I'll just take a nap :)

Robbie Falconer said...

Andrew - Totally. Rain is probably one of the more variously enjoyed things in life. Many love it, but almost always for different reasons.

Javad- Yes!! You're in the States! I can practically feel your presence, even though you are no doubt many, many miles away. Silly china...unblock blogger!

P.S. Love reciprocated. And how crazy is it that danio's getting married?!

Lacey - I consider rainy days my best work days. Sometimes I even fancy I have some control over it, as it's surprising how often it will rain outside when I really, really need to be productive.

lauren said...

at one point in my life i considered myself emotionally dependent on rain. realistically, it falls half-way between rain and music. At ruhi in the woods i would always sing prayers in the rain. it was as if the water was a conducer to my words, straight up to god. I wrote a personal prayer once, that was lost when my beloved prayerbook went missing, but the last lines were about rain, and were my favorites, so here you are:

“Observe, how one raindrop, single and alone, is utterly insignificant, yet when part of Thine infinite showers can flood the whole earth! It descends from above in complete harmony with Thy will and thus becomes the source of life to every living thing. Help me then, oh God, to be as resistless as the rain, that by surrendering my will I may help to nourish the hearts of them that thirst for Thee.”

peace.