Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Big Fat Golden One

Preface: It's my birthday today, June 20th.

Post-preface: June 20th has also been named by congress "Bald Eagle Restoration Day" or some such, because the Bald eagle is about to become un-endangered. Now, an eagle may not be a falcon, but I would point out that BOTH are birds of prey. Therefore, I am going to go ahead and thank congress for honoring my birthday with a celebration that has a vague connection to my last name. Really the United States Government, you shouldn't have.

Main post: I guess this is my "Golden birthday." You know, where the day of the month matches the age of the birthee. In my case that number is 20 - a solemn occasion indeed. In this past I have been accused of not taking these things seriously enough, but this year I have already layed out my holocaust cloak and plan to remain beneath it's dark, voluminous layers for the remainder of the day. Thus, when people ask me why I am walking down the street in a giant black cloak in the middle of summer, I will peer out from beneath my hood - my face half covered in shadows - and answer in a deathly whisper: "It is my GOLDEN birthday and I am treating it with all due solemnity."

I have the urge to climb a mountain, ride a wave, tame a sea urchin and use it to brush my hair in the mornings - but such is my nature. Often enough I just like to have ME time on such days of birth, which is just a nice way of saying that I do crazy and mildly dangerous things on my own. This time, I am settling on having a massive evening dinner. We are eating sushi, and the 1% chance that someone could die from raw fish poisoning at any point during the meal will have to satisfy my lust for danger. And yes, that is the official name: "Raw Fish Poisoning." It's all quite scientific.

What I love most about birthdays is how every single daily act seems to fall meekly in line behind this title. For instance, my friend just bought me some birthday tea. Tonight I will go and have a birthday dinner. I like to take it to the next level, however, and talk about how this morning I birthday woke up, did some birthday choirs, and then took a birthday nap. Perhaps later I will birthday change-my-clothes.

Really, people, I just popped out of the womb! We all did it (great idea for a bumper sticker: "Pro-life peer pressure: Pop out of the womb - every one's doing it.") Still, I am grateful for the confirmations of love and fellowship, and for the natural period of self-reflection. We humans loves our rites of passage, and it's clear why. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a holocaust cloak to put on.

8 comments:

dan said...

happy birthday, sir.

Anonymous said...

oh dear gosh you are a funny one...wish we had more time to awkwardly laugh and snort on the scooter my last night! haha, or was that just me snorting? laughing when the wind is in yo' face is hard sometimes, my cheeks felt especially pliable and i think i had permagrin. riding barefoot with no helmet was exhilarating as well. good times indeed!

p/s the passcode i now have to decode is mvbuthf...isn't that a funny one? i thought it said something else at first. you have to wonder if there is someone whose sole job it is to write these and randomly stick in a silly bathroom joke....ahh.....happy "birthday reading time". ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan! Fancy meeting you here...

Oh right. And happy post-birthday to you, Robbie. Wait a few more years and you'll have a red beard, too.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, good sir. I hope you did many birthday things like birthday emptying-the-dishwasher or birthday trying-to-scratch-that-itch-on-your-back-that-you-can't-reach-forcing-you-to-use-the-closest-sharp-object. Just be sure not to do something... TOO mildly dangerous...
PS- A C-section is the latest trend with OBGYNs. So, babies aren't just popping out anymore. It's more like being ripped out, leaving nail scars from not wanting to leave that warm, warm place.

Orion said...

Wait, so my golden birthday was when I was 3? What kind of crap is that? Hey, speaking of blogs, was there anything blog related you were supposed to do that you may have forgotten about? I dunno, just throwing that out there.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!

Now that I know about the "golden birthday," I find it a little disconcerting that my golden birthday was when I turned 2. How anti-climactic.

Greg Hegedus said...

welcome to the 20 somethings :)

Andrew said...

Crap. I totally missed my golden birthday. Man. I wish I didn't read this post. I'm so depressed now.

With love,
Andrew